Friday, July 15, 2011

Ihangane

...Meaning be patient in Kinyarwanda and also used as an apology.

I have to admit that while I appreciate those of you who follow my blog every month, I identify more with those of you who follow sparingly. Regardless of how often you read, by reading you are helping me accomplish the third goal of the Peace Corps which some rephrase as “bring the world back home.” You are taking an interest in my experience and also an interest in Rwanda. If you ever have questions or want to share my blog with others, please feel free. Before leaving the US, I didn’t expect to enjoy writing the blog as much as I do. Throughout the month I try to think of different topics and I think it’s a great way for me to process and remember different experiences. 

The 4th of July did not go unnoticed in Rwanda.  A little before the 4th of July, I attended a party at the US Embassy in Kigali.  It included all sorts of American treats like hamburgers, hot dogs, popcorn, brownies, ice cream, chocolate chip cookies, cold beer, potato salad, pizza, etc.  It was interesting to meet a few more Americans since I mainly know Peace Corps Volunteers.  There was also a dunk tank, face painting, and even a blow up screen that played fireworks at the end of the party. Not as good as the real thing, but it was creative.  The actual 4th of July is also a holiday in Rwanda. It is Liberation Day which celebrates the end of the 1994 genocide. Most holidays in Rwanda are celebrated with a meeting that can include song, dance, and speeches. Like a few other meetings, the leader of my area asked me, during the meeting, to give a speech in Kinyarwanda. Public speaking in a foreign language intimidates me, but I spoke briefly how the US received its independence 235 years prior and that I hope Rwanda can continue to enjoy peace and independence.  The radio station, Voice of America, played some good music and I felt proud that we have had so many consecutive years of freedom. I hope the same for Rwanda. I ended the day eating some roasted corn with my Ugandan co-workers while processing. 

When we think of Africa, we normally think elephants, monkeys, and lions, yes?  And while I have seen monkeys on two occasions (once in Nyungwe National Park and the second time riding a motorcycle to visit a friend) the majority of my interactions with animals are with the non-exotic type. These include goats, sheep, cows, pigs, chickens, birds, bats, cockroaches (did you know that some can fly?), one snake, a toad, lizards, and maybe mice or rats (at least I think I hear them). Having pets is not really part of Rwanda culture, perhaps because feeding your family takes precedence, but some of my Peace Corps friends are introducing Rwandans to that part of our culture. Unlike some parts of Latin America, you don’t see stray dogs on the streets. Motorcycle Diaries is one of my favorite books and movies. Sometimes as I’m leaving my home on the back of a motorcycle and cows, chickens, or goats cross in front of me, I feel a little like Che Guevara.  But unlike Che Guevara, I am not a revolutionary and fortunately I have not had an accident on a motorcycle.  Like some other cultures, cows are highly valued in Rwandan culture.  Milk is important and I have been served many different kinds of milk.   Cows are also a sign of wealth and the most desired dowry. Traditional Rwandan dancing involves extending your arms to resemble the horns of a cow.  Although I don’t see exciting animals on a daily basis, Rwanda does have some excellent animals to see. Before I leave I would like to visit the other two National Parks: Volcanoes National Park and Akagera National Park.  The first is one of the only places in the world where you can view gorillas in their natural habitat and the second is a place where you can take a safari and see giraffes, hippopotamus, zebras, etc.

Most Rwandans have two names. One is a Kinyarwanda name that normally has a meaning, like praise God or pray to God, Imanishimwe and Musengimana. This is given to a child maybe a week after they are born at a baby naming ceremony. The second name is normally a Christian name in French or English and I think it is given at baptism. There is not a family name like in the US.  It is difficult for me to learn names because if you ask someone what their name is, normally they respond with their Kinyarwanda name followed by their French/English name all in one breath.  Sometimes I can’t tell where one name stops and the other starts. 

I know not everyone has the opportunity to learn a foreign language, but it is my opinion that it can enrich your life.  I think that knowing a different language gives you a different lens to see a situation because you are viewing from the perspective of another culture. For example, Rwandans often use the phrase ihangane which means be patient.  I don’t think in America we hear the words be patient everyday, possibly because patience is not as valued or not as necessary in our culture.  Things take much longer in Rwanda, something like going to a restaurant can easily take 2 hours.  This is not a drive-through, fast food culture. Being able to speak a foreign language can make traveling a more comfortable experience and allows for more impactful interactions with foreigners.  Even if it’s taking a community Spanish class or watching foreign films, I’d encourage everyone to try to learn a few words in a different language and increase your exposure to other languages. 

Shortly I will be visiting the US to attend a good friend’s wedding and to see some family and friends. I’m excited, but also somewhat nervous about the culture shock and readjustment process.  My time is limited, so I do not think I will be able to see all the people I care about. Know that if I don’t get to see you, it’s not because I don’t want to. I would love to hear from you if you want to try to get together.

Peace and love,
Allison 

No comments:

Post a Comment